Neroli is a Consultant in our Insurance and Health team and is based in the Sydney office.
Neroli specialises in:
- Professional indemnity (medical/health)
- General Liability
Neroli has 35 years experience including acting for and advising health professionals and organisations responding to professional indemnity claims, disciplinary proceedings and coroner’s inquests.
Neroli‘s practice also includes a significant amount of work in general insurance law, including public and product liability, property damage, indemnity and contractual disputes. She has extensive experience in areas such as indemnity disputes, policy interpretation, contract claims and catastrophic injury claims.
I enjoy the focus on medicine in both health and public liability claims and gaining an understanding in some depth of how the injuries occurred and need to be managed. I also enjoy the forensic tasks of obtaining evidence to defend the claim.
Some of Neroli’s recent experience includes:
- Successfully defended a neurosurgeon in a professional negligence claim which went to the full bench of the Court of Appeal and clarified the interpretation of the professionals defence in section 5O Civil Liability Act 2002, currently on appeal to the High Court (Dean v Pope).
- Acted for a plastic surgeon in a large medical malpractice class action relating to cosmetic surgery.
- Acted for a trampoline centre franchisor which had multiple personal injury claims in its centres around NSW.
- Acted for a GP in a large catastrophic injury claim involving a 2 year old child who suffered a severe brain injury in the course of medical treatment.
- Provided advice to an aged care facility in a criminal trial in relation to an employee charged with elder abuse.
Neroli focuses on early strategy to assist clients to determine whether a claim should be the subject of alternative dispute resolution, or defence. She has a reputation for achieving excellent results for her clients whether at mediation, or at hearing.
I work with both the insurer and the insureds, who are generally doctors in the medical negligence field and in the liability field, can be anyone from individual small business owners to corporations/manufacturers/builders. I enjoy the interaction with people in the course of the case and learning about the fields that the insureds work in.
Neroli has been recognised in the peer-review guide, Best Lawyers in Australia since 2021, for her expertise in Personal Injury Litigation and since 2022, in Health and Aged Care Law, Medical Negligence and Insurance Law.
Neroli holds a Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws from Sydney University. She is a member of Women in Insurance and the Australian Insurance Law Society.
Barry Nilsson has a reputation for being inclusive and having a great work culture. I have found that reputation to be well deserved to date.